Monday, June 5, 2017

Northwell Health At Jones Beach Theatre: The Best Wheelchair Accessible Venue

Having been born with Spina Bifida, a disability that requires me to use a wheelchair, it baffles me sometimes that this world isn't universally designed for everyone. I guess maybe that's my mission to help make that happen. In the mean time, instead of complaining about all of the places that AREN'T exactly wheelchair accessible, I thought I'd shout out one place that is.

The first time I went to Jones Beach Theatre was in 2005 for a Backstreet Boys concert. I bought floor seats and they were far back, but the security brought me right up front. This past weekend, I attended KTUPHORIA there which is a concert for the radio station KTU. My seats were on the floor in a section further back but again security brought me right up front. This is the way it should be. People stand at concerts, how else are those of us in wheelchairs supposed to be able to see?

On top of it, upon arrival, I met a man who told me to ask for him once I was inside so he could bring me up front. As it turned out, every security person there was eager to help. I personally got to thank a group of them on my way out of the arena on Saturday night after the concert and promised I would write them up an amazing review. They truly deserve it.

I hope this blog reaches the right people. Anyone in a wheelchair looking for an arena that will go above and beyond to help them, anyone looking to compare arenas and inspire an arena near you to become more wheelchair accessible and every single person involved at Jones Beach Theatre in Wantagh, NY. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!



No comments:

Post a Comment