Saturday, July 30, 2016

Reality TV vs. Real Life: Big Brother & Paulie Calafiore

I've been a Big Brother fan since the show started pretty much. I got into it in middle or high school and I'm almost 30. I'd like to think I know how the show works, but things have changed a lot on the outside because of social media. 


Let's start with the Diary Room. I'm not going into explanations of what that is. This is for people who follow the show and will already understand what I mean when I say DR. Anyway, I have always felt that the DR had a ton of influence on the game. I mean, there's a reason that the second one of the Houseguests says something about the DR, the live feed gets cut. Fight club and we don't talk about fight club! The show is highly produced, many former houseguests have said it but the show will not give you proof. To me, the Diary Room is like the worst kind of friend, the instigator. You go in upset or pissed off and they feed you things to keep you emotional or fighting so that the show isn't boring and doesn't drop in ratings. $500k is a lot of money but people don't just start bickering for no reason. They have to be egged on somehow!

The show also casts people based on personality traits they know they can manipulate out of you. There's always a cryer, always an aggressive player and everything in between. Which is why I'm glad I enjoyed the show for so long without social media. It's a ruthless show and with social media now, people are so quick to defend someone they feel is in the right and vilify someone they feel is wrong. Defending someone is fine, but taking personal character assassinating jabs at the opposition when you don't know them is out of line. 

Which brings me to this season, season 18. There's a sibling twist and one of them is Paulie, brother of former houseguest Cody Calafiore who came in second during his season. That has to be pressure enough! He's also into sports, which also brings out his competitive nature. He seems like the type who came into the game well versed on it and well coached by his brother and others he met through his brothers' season. He's also a Scorpio, like me. We like things to go our way and we don't mess around to get what we want. When we explain things, we stay super calm but you can tell we're annoyed and seething and will eventually raise our voices. Add into the mix that he meets a girl he likes and also wants to protect as a part of his alliance. He's in the Big Brother house, he's GOING to lie to EVERYONE and feel intense pressure on himself and people need to realize that before throwing tantrums at him. He's doing the best he can under all different circumstances and he's human. 

Should he be trusting certain people? No. Should he be talking personal, even if he's lying, to certain people? No. People get hurt in the midst of it, but I truly feel like outside of the house, it would never be his intention to do that. But he won't find this out until after the show. These people are all he's got right now. If he called a real buddy from home or his brother about his personal feelings toward anyone, he'd get a completely different answer than venting to a house full of other people who are his competition and also have their eyes on $500k. He's also a guy and guys can be stupid LOL. But in all seriousness, I've seen so many different things said about him that I had to speak up. 

This world is so divided. People think nothing of throwing around words like asshole, abuser, manipulative, racist, sexist and so on and so forth. That, to me, completely undermines the people that those things actually happen to. You are not cut out for Big Brother, even watching it, if you're not ready for ruthless backstabbing, lying, cheating or if you can't figure out when something is real outside of game. We should have a broader, clearer perspective on that then those only concentrating on the game behind those 4 walls. Fans are so quick to grab their computers or phones and bitch about it, even to the families of these people on TV, and that's just not cool. Send them love or don't follow them at all!

And yes, I feel like I just channeled Paulie Calafiore with my life coach dissection of this show LMAO. I just felt he needed to be defended since I've seen nothing nice lately about him and wanted to give my perspective. His family is also being nice enough to chat with us on social media, don't be an asshole to them by taking personal jabs and talking shit about their son to them. You wanna hate his game? Fine. But you don't know him from Adam, neither do I. I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure he's a great person and I look forward to meeting him the next time he holds some kind of event in NY, hopefully after he brings home that $500k to NJ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment