Sunday, July 17, 2016

Why All Lives Matter - personal

I realize this topic is controversial, but please hear me out. In this blog I want to speak about myself, my life and my broad views on life. This will explain why I believe that ALL lives matter.

I was born with Spina Bifida. I use a wheelchair. I can count on one hand the amount of events I have been to for awareness for any of it. I don't view myself as different, so I'm not going to Ra Ra and beg to be seen as separate. Touting myself as someone in a wheelchair will ONLY show me as someone who is and always will be different. I don't choose to be seen in that light. We are ALL similar and ALL different.

I am, first and foremost, a healthy human being. My life matters just as much as yours, just as much a white man, a black woman, a blue duck, a purple cat and so on and so forth. I do not even view anyone who looks different to me as being a minority. We are all just people.

I realize that this view isn't the norm, it isn't popular and maybe that is what movements like Black Lives Matter is trying to combat against. I have a bit of advice from my experience though. Quit the violence at your events, including within your own race, and look at yourselves and your fellow man and woman as merely a human being. If we treated everyone equally and stop looking at color, that would spread quicker than anything we have tried before.

No comments:

Post a Comment