Friday, December 22, 2017

Governor Kasich Signs Down-Syndrome Abortion Ban In Ohio

Let me start by saying that I’m no fan of Governor John Kasich, but I’m a fan of the abortion ban for Down-Syndrome babies. It is possible that someone you don’t particularly like will do something you 100% support. If there is one time where I’m totally and completely against abortion, completely anti-abortion...it is on the subject of disabilities! 

My parents were given a 50/50 chance I’d live & even less of a chance I’d be a “normal” kid. My point in this is that you never know, so why rob any child of a full life because a doctor scares the shit out of you as a parent? 

When you have sex, you know there is a chance you’re going to get pregnant if you don’t take proper precautions. Even then, there is no guarantee. I’m of the belief that any responsible adult should also take into account that their child could, potentially, be born with a disability. If you aren’t okay with that, it is up to you to take the precautions and NOT take it out on the child, who needs you...or at least someone, to take care of them. If you truly can’t take the thought or the pressure, give them to a family who will love them the way they deserve to be loved. Give them to a family who will help them realize their true potential and prove doctors (and you) wrong. 

It is up to you, as the parent, to raise your child to be strong, independent, kind hearted and a slew of other things. In my opinion, that goes quadruple for a child with a disability. Yes, it is a huge responsibility and I do understand being scared. But open your eyes. Stop looking for what scares you. You’re sure to find it if you look for it. Instead, look for the success stories. There are a lot of us out there and, speaking for myself, I’m more than willing to help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment