Saturday, October 22, 2016

End The Hypocrisy, Hate & Shade in the Big Brother Fandom

After the drama I went through recently and seen others go through, I figured I'd do what I started to do during the summer...blog my thoughts that won't fit into an 150 character tweet and will address whomever needs or wants to read it. It's been an interesting few weeks, to say the least. I haven't felt like blogging lately, because I didn't want to see or pay attention to drama, but here is my attempt at calming it.

I have noticed over the summer of 2016 that the Big Brother fandom is by far the nastiest I've ever been involved in. I've blocked more people over the summer than in all of my years of being on social media. As I've said in another blog, I'll never let it waiver my support. However, people are flat out mean to each other, to the houseguests and to their families. Even now and the show is over! It's like, can't we all just get along?!

I've never actually been part of the fandom of Big Brother before until recently and I can tell you that's probably not going to last. I'll watch, but not engage much on social media during the show. I've been a fan since the show first started, but only recently started to follow people on social media with the common interest of similar favorite houseguests, etc. I also just started following the feeds this past summer because so many people have uploaded videos or tweeted out updates, so I could keep up without having to actually buy the feeds and spend every waking moment watching them in order to only keep up with the people I cared to watch.

I can understand not liking another houseguest that your favorite didn't or doesn't get along with. I just don't understand how when I point out my favorites' strong points, it's taken as insulting someone else that they're actually close with but when others talk about their favorite and flat out hate on mine, that's supposed to be okay. I don't see anything wrong with being happy that someone is going to show up to a homecoming party. Sure, there will be fans who solely go to see the person the party is for, just like I did with Paulie's, but it doesn't mean those same fans won't be happy to see the special guests too, just like I was. Would I have still shown up had it only been Paulie? Yes, just like I'm sure fans of other people would show up if it was just their favorite at their own homecoming party. But having others there helps and that's just the way it is. There were people who showed up just to see Cody, Zakiyah or Frankie at Paulie's party. I don't understand why that was okay for people to say about Paulie's and not okay for someone else. When I said I hope Paulie gets most of the love at his own homecoming party, people exploded and now it's not supposed to be acknowledged that Paulie would be at some. The double standards and hypocrisy just kill me.

I'm not for this whole separation type thing (yes, I did that on purpose - take a drink.) I'm very happy that Zaulie are together and clearly in love. Why are we splitting amongst ourselves in our support? Let's not forget I was one of the first people who just knew Zaulie would work out and that they have legitimate feelings for each other when EVERYONE was doubting one (*cough* Paulie) or both of them and wondering if their feelings were just game. People thought I was crazy! So I am absolutely not shading anyone if I just happen to mention in a tweet about how cool it is for fans that Paulie would be going to the NC and Canada Meet N Greets and events. Believe me, they all know joint events will bring people together for the events because so many do wish them well in their relationships, friendships and individual endeavors. Do we really want to give the haters more ammo by hating on the people who actually support the same people we support?

Some of the people in this fandom are also making me raise an eyebrow. They are now sucking up to the people they hated and threw shade at all summer long. There's a difference between seeing the light on a houseguest versus acting like you've loved them all along, when you did nothing but hate. However, I guess any love is good love. It is always better than hate. I've already seen many people flip back a couple times over absolutely nothing and it's not fair. Either you're giving them a chance or you're not. It's not your relationship, friendship or life anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I've met some amazing people through watching Big Brother. However, I connected on many levels with the few friends I've made through watching the show. If we haven't talked on a personal level, chances are we're just acquaintances because of our common interest in the show, which is cool too. This drama is not worth sacrificing anyone's sanity. It's just like real life. I don't live to be liked by anyone. You like me and want to be friends? Cool. You don't? That's cool too. Big Brother isn't as serious as people make it out to be and I wish people would just chill out.

It's not all bad. I've met friends over the summer whom I hope to have in my life for a very long time, if not forever. Some people are just very extra. There's also a ton of paranoia. Rule of thumb in life: if you haven't done anything I've said, I'm obviously not talking about you. It honestly makes me wonder if there's a little guilt there when someone acts so offended by something I've said.

The point of this now very long blog is to say, let's take a page out of Paulie and Zakiyah's book, but now amongst each other, by spreading love and positivity, not hate and negativity. I'm very proud of how many of us, myself included, have been slowly learning to not engage with the trolls. Next, let's stop treating each other as trolls, calm the hell down and stay in our happy lanes! There is so much to be happy about in the world of Zaulie and Paulie and Zakiyah individually, let alone things I'm sure we are all experiencing in our actual lives. If we concentrate on that, we will bring about more of it. It's some law of attraction type thing. Try it. Don't make me create a meditation where we all sing kumbaya and imagine ourselves holding hands. Breathe!


2 comments:

  1. Well said!!! It has been a pleasure to share our mutual interests in big brother together, but it's also been amazing to talk to a special person like yourself Marissa, whom almost always makes me smile. I think your an amazingly positive individual, whom always tries to see the light at the other end of the tunnel. Speaking for myself only, I'm excited to meet you and hope to remain friends with you for a long time. Thanks for another thought provoking blog.

    ReplyDelete