Wednesday, January 18, 2017

I Support Lamar Odom

I woke up yesterday assuming that "The Doctors" was on sometime in the afternoon. As you can imagine, I was so upset to find out that I'd missed (and forgot to DVR) the episode on Lamar Odom. I did find clips though, and regardless I was going to speak about it today anyway.

Many people have scrutinized Lamar for his relapses. While I don't believe that relapse is part of recovery, rather it is part of addiction, it does happen. As long as I see any living, breathing human being picking themselves up and fighting for their sobriety and their life another day, I'm proud and consider it a hopeful success. After all, I lost my brother to years of addiction and an ultimate suicide. So any attempt someone makes at getting help always gives me hope.

Others criticize Lamar for being so public with his journey and chalked his struggles and attempts at sobriety up to merely being publicity stunts. They feel it's the Kardashian effect rubbing off on him for the money he'd get doing interviews. I disagree. I am incredibly proud of Lamar. I believe it takes a tremendous amount of courage to admit to YOURSELF that you messed up and even more courage to get help for it and then come out to tell your story to one AA or NA meeting. Lamar has done all of that, plus shared his struggles and successes with millions of us, all the while knowing many would scrutinize him for it. 

In recovery, you must always pay it forward. I looked at Lamar's interview as doing just that. I was not only proud of him while watching. I was also proud of the one, two or one hundred people in the world watching the interview and deciding to start their own journey toward sobriety. You never know who you're inspiring when you share your struggles. 

Lamar, I along with millions of others am so proud of you and thankful that you trust and love your fans enough to want to lean on us for support. I'm also thankful for your raw truth and honesty that is no doubt relatable to someone out there watching and struggling with their own demons. I wish you nothing but health, happiness and love this and every year to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment