Saturday, January 7, 2017

Things I "Use" My Disability For

It has occurred to me that many people think I (and my fellow wheelies - I hate all the formal words so I made up my own) "use" my disability to get what I want. So I've compiled a list of things that I use my disability for. I hope you enjoy. 

I use my disability to inspire others. I never have to make any of my accomplishments or ventures public but I choose to because it makes me so sad to see so many people who don't believe in themselves and don't push themselves to do things they've only dreamed of doing! 

I use my disability to prove to myself that I can do more than I ever expected.

I use my disability to keep myself mentally and emotionally strong, pushing past any limits society or my inner voice have set.

I use my disability to remind myself to be grateful for all the things I can do and all the things I do have.

I use my disability because God doesn't make mistakes. 

I use my disability to remind myself that everything happens for a reason. 

I use my disability to shape my perspective on everything about life. 

I use my disability to love myself exactly as I am. 

I use my disability to remind myself and others that differences are beautiful and make the world go round. 

I use my disability to be grateful that if I stub my toe (which happens a lot), I won't feel it. One I'm sure is still broken and the other has no toe nail and when that happened, the room looked like a murder scene from a movie. Didn't feel a thing.

Then there's that time I was climbing stairs and hit a nail, carving open my entire foot. I laughed, my aunt almost passed out. Moving on...

So the next time someone tells you that you're using your disability, show them this blog. We all can only use what God gives us. Remember that. Most of all, use your ability to love yourself and others and laugh with each other. 

"You cannot change the cards you are dealt, just how you play the hand." - Randy Pausch 



No comments:

Post a Comment