Sunday, January 1, 2017

My 2017 New Year's Resolution

I've thought long and hard about my New Years resolution for 2017. I'm going to work just as hard keeping it as I did thinking of what it would be. It's definitely not as cliche as it may sound. I'm going to embrace change and learn to love it.

Life was amazing growing up. I can't remember many hard times and I'm grateful for that. As I got older, I realized that tragedy makes change hard. A lot happened in a short amount of time that has made me afraid of change. Any change signified things getting worse or harder. I know many people can relate to this. It's like if you're unhappy with something and want SOMETHING to change, like something's GOTTA give, but you don't want even more to go badly so you just keep things the way they are. The only thing is comfortability is dangerous.

If things change rapidly for the worst, it can make you yearn for the past and be scared to break out and change anything about your life for the better. It's safer to keep things as they are. So what should you do? Become uncomfortable with being too comfortable in an uncomfortable situation. But don't overwhelm yourself trying to change everything at once, otherwise you won't change anything. 

I can only go by what I'm going to do and suggest it to you. Start small with changing the time you wake up (earlier is always better, unless you NEED more sleep and already are up before dawn.) A change of scenery is always good too. Maybe a different area to read or do work in. Change one thing you do daily, just one small thing. Eventually, things will move in a direction you like more and more and you'll embrace change. You may even learn to love it. 

Life is always changing. That's part of the problem I've had with change. As I said earlier, so much changed at once for me. My dad had a rough few years before he got sick and passed away in about a years' time in 2009. We moved and had hurricane Sandy after that, losing everything. A few more moves happened and then we lost my brother in 2015. It's forced me to adapt and trust that, even when I can't figure out what's happening, everything will be okay. Everything is always happening for a reason and I have to trust God and the universe. That makes it easier to adapt to these changes in life. 

Something else I'm finally learning is that I can't change anyone else, nor can I change their minds or situation unless they're ready. I've always known that but let it frustrate me. I'm learning to accept it as one of the things I cannot change, while hoping that by living my life it will inspire others to do the same.

I've been watching a lot of my favorite coaches and speakers lately. So I thought I'd tell you something I learned from each of them.

Sunny Dawn Johnston is always talking about us being the only one we can change!

Don't let anyone make you play small. - Lisa Nichols

Don't settle. - Trent Shelton

Take no shit. - Matthew hussey 


No comments:

Post a Comment