Friday, August 19, 2016

I Am A Jinx To Reality Television

Well I shouldn't be surprised at this point. I have been watching reality television since I was a kid and could count on one hand, combined for each show, which of my favorites have won. From American Idol to Big Brother, I could still probably count the winners I've chosen on one hand and both shows have double digit seasons.

The first time I became really invested in a winner for a reality show was Latoya London on season 3 of American Idol. I was pretty upset when she was voted off and still remember my parents' reactions from upstairs but no one's loss in American Idol history has devastated me more than Chris Daughtry. I remember the exact moment like it was yesterday. My cousin called and I didn't even say a word, just listened as she said "this show sucks!" I swear, I still feel like me voting causes these people to lose! However, one lesson Chris' "loss" taught me was that reality television isn't the end all, be all. It is merely a stepping stone, a beginning to a long career ahead. He's much more popular than most of the people who have won the show. Looking at it from that perspective has really helped me get through other losses. Which brings me to Big Brother...

Okay, so I get a little too invested in my favorites on each of my shows. I'm just the type to want the person to win rather than the talent. I guess that's why I'm into a show like "Big Brother." Especially with the way the Internet is nowadays, I've become so invested because I don't even need to pay for the live feeds to see everything and I don't have to waste my summer watching hours of footage. People post condensed videos now so I can see what my favorite Houseguest is up to in usually under an hour! Seeing the feeds now really gives me an opportunity to connect with the person and see them unedited to how the show wants them to be portrayed.

As far as Big Brother goes, my ultimate favorites have only won 3 times out of 18 seasons. I loved Jun Song, Evel Dick & Derrick Levasseur. There are too many to name in between that have lost and I was really invested in. Sometimes, like with Derrick and Cody from season 16, I will like the top 2 and it really won't bother me either way who wins first place. This season was not one of those times.

I literally only liked 2 houseguests for season 18: Paulie Calafiore (Cody's brother but a legend in his own right who I refuse to place in his brothers' shadow) and Zakiyah Everette. Everyone else was a snooze fest and annoying. Paulie was a great competitive and social player and Zakiyah had a strong and silent type social game. She'd go about her business, being friendly and painting her nails and then talk game with Paulie and my jaw would drop at what she observed. She also pretty much pegged what's been going on in the house in her post show interviews.

Call me crazy, but I still want Paulie back in the house next week during Jury Battle Back. I just don't find the show interesting at all without him. Sure, his little seeds he dropped before leaving have caused the house to turn on each other and split again, wanting Paul out (thank God for small favors and karma) but I literally don't want anyone left to win other than Corey if I had to choose. I don't want to jinx anything as far as Paulie winning the jury buy back and helping Corey take everyone else out. I was cautiously optimistic (as I am by nature) and was sure he had the round trip ticket, only for that hope to be squashed this week, which was stupid for the ticket to not to be used at all but that's a whole different story.

I'm coming out of this season as a fan of Paulie's for life. I think he's an amazing person and I look forward to seeing all the doors open for him, that may not have if he wasn't on the show. He truly does deserve it! He will go down as the Chris Daughtry of Big Brother (if he doesn't get back in and win...ugh, see? Still hopeful...)!


No comments:

Post a Comment